Sunday, April 22, 2018

Thing 18: Reflective Practice

For Thing 18, I'm writing a reflective account of Things 14-17 in order to apply for the Critical Thinker Badge.

Reflections of Things 14-17 using Gibbs Reflective Cycle

1. A reflection of Thing 14: Personal Information Management

It's a good while since I did this Thing. I'm reading back over my blog post to remind myself what it was about.

Description: I gave Evernote, Pocket, and Feedly a go.

Feelings: I felt like the task was unnecessary as I think I'm fine with managing my information already! However, I worked my way through it and enjoyed it.

Evaluation: I found my way around Evernote after spending a bit of time on it. Pocket and Feedly were handy enough.

Analysis: The task took a long time but it was good to learn what's available.

Conclusion: I'm able to use these personal information management tools, should the need arise.

Action plan: If someone is talking about the tools I will know what they're referring to and that I'm able to use them.


2. A reflection of Thing 15: Evaluating Information

Description: I made a slight change to improve an entry on Wikipedia.

Feelings: I was delighted to have the opportunity to do this, as I'd seen invites to do so before on the HSLG mailing list.

Evaluation: I made a simple change to improve the content of an entry about a school. The importance was in going through the process.

Analysis: Once you follow the steps, it's easy to improve Wikipedia.

Conclusion: I felt like I was doing my bit to ensure the accuracy of information on the web!

Action plan: If another call goes out and if I have time this is something I could do again in the future.


3. A reflection of Thing 16: Your Digital Footprint

Description: I ran a diagnostic of how I protect myself against violations of my privacy on the internet.

Feelings: I felt I was pretty good at this.

Evaluation: As a librarian and interested citizen I'm quite aware of the need for care online, though it's not something I'm overly concerned about.

Analysis: This was an easy, systematic task.

Conclusion: I'm fairly mindful of my digital footprint.

Action plan: Today I read about how Facebook uses our information. It seemed reasonable to me.


4. A reflection of Thing 17: Sharing Your Work

Description: I talked about my experiences with my work being on Slideshare, in a digital newsletter, and on Lenus.

Feelings: I'm aware I have nothing new in the pipeline in this regard, which I feel a little bad about, but I can keep my eyes peeled. I have other priorities at the moment. I did send in items for Twitter to my organisation's Twitter account managers.

Evaluation: At least I have used the sharing tools.

Analysis: I am aware of the ways to share information with others.

Conclusion: I have shared my work - or my work has been shared - over the years. Perhaps I will share more again in the future.

Action plan: If an opportunity comes up, I can go for it if I have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment