Saturday, March 24, 2018

Thing 12: Collaborative Tools

My task is to write about the last time I had to work on a group project. The thing that comes to mind is planning a surprise for someone. We are working virtually. We're using Facebook Messenger. The good thing is you can look at it when it suits you (I don't have it installed on my phone). The bad thing is I left it several days before looking at it. It's not great for looking back at old messages. There can be a lot of scrolling. Two people don't mind what we do, so I will contact the other person and plan it with her and then get back to the others. It can be easier when there's just two making decisions.

I have used different tools at different times over the years.

Google Drive: I used this when I was on a librarian committee. The group was very organised and it worked well as a home for documents. I also use it with my partner to keep track of our expenses!

Trello: I used this when I was part of the Health Sciences Libraries Group. I was involved in producing HEAR (Health Evidence Awareness Report) and we uploaded content for the publications onto Trello. I liked it. You could move the different headings around if you thought they were better located elsewhere.

Slack: I hadn't heard of this but my boyfriend showed me it. He has different conversations on it and gets notifications about activities from other platforms. I asked if it's like Google Hangouts and he said it's like a more modern version of it. You can add in Gifs.

Skype: I used to attend Skype meetings when I was on the committee of the Vegetarian Society of Ireland. Sometimes it worked and sometimes you'd end up typing that you can't hear or your microphone isn't working and various things!

Doodle: I've participated in and created Doodle polls. I like them. They are best used with people who are comfortable using different tools, as you want everyone to have their say!

No comments:

Post a Comment