Sunday, March 25, 2018

Thing 13: Reflective Practice

For Thing 13, I'm writing a reflective account of Things 10-12 in order to apply for the Online Networker Badge.

Reflections of Things 10-12 using Gibbs Reflective Cycle

1. A reflection of Thing 10: Networking Tools

Description: I already use Facebook and Twitter so did not have to set up accounts.

Feelings: I felt like I was on top of this task.

Evaluation: For the task I checked my public usernames and privacy settings.

Analysis: I realised I don't Tweet much at conferences. I tend to read and favourite other people's Tweets. However, I have Tweeted at conferences before (e.g. EAHIL 2017), and my Tweets have been favourited and retweeted.

Conclusion: I'm a good bit of the way there.

Action plan: I could Tweet more at conferences and events. I could pay particular attention to up-and-coming librarians.


2. A reflection of Thing 11: Your Professional Brand

Description: I updated my LinkedIn and Twitter profiles and created an Orchid ID.

Feelings: I felt glad to have an Orchid ID as I'd heard of it before. I don't have any research papers to go with it though! However, I know some people used theirs when producing the health librarian publication HEAR which I was involved with. If I'd had an Orchid ID at the time I could have used it!

Evaluation: It was good to review my LinkedIn and Twitter profiles as I found some content that had become out-of-date.

Analysis: It's good to review content every so often - perhaps twice a year.

Conclusion: I now have an Orchid ID ready to go if I ever need it.

Action plan: I have now Liked the LAI public libraries section on Facebook. However, they only seem to be active around the time of their conference.


3. A reflection of Thing 12: Collaborative Tools

Description: I was familiar with all the tools covered except Slack.

Feelings: I felt good when I realised I have a good bit of experience with collaborative tools.

Evaluation: I'm in the public libraries now and not on committees like I was before so I'm less likely to use the tools now than before.

Analysis: It's good to know some tools I used a number of years ago, such as Doodle, are still considered of value.

Conclusion: I could have experimented with Slack.

Action plan: I did ask my partner to show me Slack and I know it's there as an option if I find myself needing to collaborate with a group.


  • What is my personal digital footprint? Am I presenting the online image that I wish others, especially professional colleagues, to see? 

When I Google myself this is what I find: 
1. My LinkedIn profile. It states my job title and employer. 
2. My Twitter account but it says Health Sciences Librarian which is old information, as I updated my details during Thing 11. I would prefer colleagues to see current information! I was surprised to learn I'm on Twitter almost 9 years! 
3. My contact details at my old job. They obviously haven't updated the webpage yet. Again, I would prefer colleagues didn't see this!
4. Images for me. Two of them are actually me. The first one is taken from my Twitter account. I know I need to update it! For the other one, I didn't know where it came from but I clicked in to see it was from the list of speakers at the Western Regional Section of the LAI's conference 2016. 
5. Facebook
6. There's a link to an issue of HEAR (Health Evidence Awareness Report by the Health Sciences Libraries Group of the LAI) which I contributed to. 

  • Do I currently have a personal branding strategy? What way have I - or could I - use the tools covered in the lesson to create or improve my brand?
I don't have a strategy other than to keep an eye on what's going on and contribute where I feel like doing so, and to keep my profiles up-to-date. I think LinkedIn is good for keeping track of achievements. 

  • How do I feel about networking – is it something I find challenging, or do I find that it doesn’t take much effort for me? Am I exploiting all of the possible channels, to reach out to colleagues and potential collaborators? 
I stayed for drinks at the A&SL conference. That was a nice way to meet some new people. At conferences it can be nice to catch up with people we know already. Where possible it's good to talk to people we don't know, and I do this where opportunities arise and where I feel comfortable. I then often Follow speakers from conferences on Twitter.
  • Do I currently use any of the recommended tools to manage workflows and collaborate with others on remote projects? What tools do I feel would be most useful to me in my work?
In my job I'm concentrating on becoming familiar with the work at the moment. I'm taking a break from big collaborations. However, if something exciting comes up I have the resources to get involved. 


No comments:

Post a Comment