Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Thing 15: Advocacy for Libraries

Today I have to look at websites that give examples of advocacy.

First up is UK website "Voices for the library". I liked reading "Two days in a librarian's life". The TV companies getting in touch is exciting!

Next up is http://www.librarycampaign.com/tell-it-like-it-is. I found a part saying: Fed up with the ‘libraries are irrelevant’ brigade? (oh yes I am!). And it has a video showing that going to the library is the most popular place to visit in the UK. 

The 3rd one is this one: http://speakupforlibraries.org/ It's a nice bright website. The Speak up for Libraries alliance is encouraging people to make public libraries an election issue. My first thought is who do the librarians think they are? It's not a real issue. But maybe they do have a point. There is a bit on volunteer-run libraries. Now, I've used volunteers in addition to me. It's really not good enough. However, I find it stressful to fight to prove our value, and am highly tempted to go Fine. You win. I'll get an office job and go quietly (and stress-free) into the corner to my computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgkUZylvsP0&feature=youtu.be This is a video called Libraries Change Lives. I'm being cynical but I think that the things it's talking about can be achieved with a laptop at home and going to Meetups. But a TedTalk came on after which truly showed the value of public libraries, with a boy using it during a time his family were essentially homeless. So perhaps there is some value in public libraries! They have community gardens at their libraries! They get to know their neighbours and that's as important as learning how to grow their veg!

Ooh, this is great http://www.ilovelibraries.org/sites/default/files/Jessica_Holmes_nomination.pdf. A school librarian who was nominated as teacher of the year by her colleagues!!


I think advocacy is incredibly important for libraries. I created a poster which was distributed as a HSLG conference. It was an advocacy poster. I launched it by being in a photo with my boss. The campaign fell flat though. I think the best advocacy is doing your job well and people thinking to refer you to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment