Thursday, October 22, 2015

Thing 17: Reflective Practice

I am on Thing 17 and it's getting harder. Standards are rising. We now have to reflect deeper. I now have to write about how I can use reflective practice in my library experience or look back at my previous blog entries and choose one to rewrite. I really don't want to have to look back at old posts and redo one so I will think about reflective practice in my library experience. I remember years ago the nursing students on placement had to do a lot on reflection. I'm sure they still do. Now it's my turn. This is waffle though as I don't know what to say.

Well I did use some reflective practice in work recently. I am involved in HEAR - a health sciences librarians' publication. I did email my colleagues with things I would do differently if editing (or in this case co-editing) again.

I have also recently looked at my service plan and what I haven't done. I have also reflected on how I could have engaged with staff who are not on the email system. I think the answer would have been to request notifications of new staff and to send them information on the library by internal post.

I am trying to organise some things for Library Ireland Week. I will have the chance to reflect on them. I emailed a key member of management and invited them to answer questions like Who is your favourite author? Have you ever written a book/would you like to? My motivation is to provide something interesting for LIW but also I want to engage with that person and have them as a library champion. They may well say something negative or nothing at all. My thinking was I've nothing to lose. I sent my questions to my library volunteer but she didn't reply and I also sent them to a colleague in another library. I did think about it but then in the end I just sent them, for better or worse.

1 comment:

  1. I think reflective practice is a learned habit, the more you do it the easier it becomes!

    ReplyDelete