Sunday, April 29, 2018

Thing 22: Reflective Practice

It's that time again! For Thing 22, I'm writing another reflective account - this time of Things 19-21 in order to apply for the Engaged Professional Badge. This badge is particularly important to me as I think it's really important to be an engaged professional!

Reflections of Things 19-21 using Gibbs Reflective Cycle
We are invited to choose other models of reflective practice. However, it's Sunday evening and the deadline for applying for badges is tomorrow and I'm on the late shift so my advice to myself is to stick with what I know.

1. A reflection of Thing 19:
Podcasts

Description: I created a podcast where I reviewed a book. I used Audacity and then saved it on Soundcloud. The music was my partner's and he helped me with the task.

Feelings: I felt that this was a hard task. It was very technical, unlike me! I've been told I'm resourceful and I am happy to avail of the help of this software developer and former musician! In turn, I love helping people in the library with computer issues whenever possible. I did like making the podcast. It was the rest of it I didn't like so much!

Evaluation: I could record using Audacity but needed help with saving it properly, adding music, and putting it on Soundcloud. I know if I had to do it I could (eventually) or if I was doing it regularly I'd get better at it.

Analysis: I was well aware of the Librarians Aloud podcast and it was nice to have a small insight into what's involved in making a podcast.

Conclusion: Making podcasts is a realistic task for librarians and could be a handy way to self-advocate or promote a service that may be of interest to library users.

Action plan: I can't think of a way to use podcasts at the moment. I don't think it would be possible in my work. If I was ever active in a committee again that might be the way.


2. A reflection of Thing 20: Advocacy and Engagement

Description: There was a lot of writing in this task! I answered 9 questions on the topic.

Feelings: I really enjoyed this task as I can see what an important issue it is. I just worked my way through the questions and answered them as the answers naturally came to me. I do feel sad that I failed to have success when I tried to advocate for a library service in the past. I did have some successes but the bottom line is the library service was reduced to a very serious extent.

Evaluation: I answered the questions and was reminded how valuable libraries are and how privileged I feel to work in libraries and to have the opportunity to advocate for them. I'm remembering now about Aoife Lawton's wonderful book The Invisible Librarian. I do love this topic.

Analysis: Everytime I interact with a customer (or a colleague) I'm promoting the library service. Sometimes working with the public is exhausting, especially if there is a difficult interaction, but each time you have one chance to be nice to the person so that they will hopefully come back and maybe even tell a friend.

Conclusion: I really admire Marie O'Neill and I enjoyed answering the questions. I think I can be a good advocate for the profession, because I believe in the importance of libraries.

Action plan: I ask my boss about evaluating our events. I'm as nice as I can be to borrowers. Sometimes I'm tired and can do better but most of the time I really do make an effort. If I get called for an interview in the next few months I will think of more ways to advocate.


3. A reflection of Thing 21: Professional Groups

Description: I wrote about my involvement in some groups that are part of the LAI.

Feelings: I'm glad I've had the chance to be active. I'm unsure of what opportunities there are for involvement within the public libraries section.

Evaluation: I've given what I could because I know it's important but I wore myself out with a previous committee and so I know my limits!

Analysis: I'm reminded that I could do more like PKSB and applying for LAI Associateship.

Conclusion: I know I would like to be more involved in professional groups again in the future.

Action plan: When the time is right I can see about doing PKSB and applying for Associateship. I love the way R23 is on for a particular time and everyone is working away on it and there's a sense of being part of something big. If there was something similar for PKSB and Associateship I'd be interested in participating. That would motivate me more. I love a good deadline!


Reflection after RudaĆ­ 23?
I'm being asked if I'll use reflection again. I intend entering a librarian competition so reflecting on work I've been doing is important. I also reflect in general so I can learn, since I'm in my current job since October and am learning loads! Also, I'm doing a Montessori course (two modules to go!) and I've had to do a reflective journal as part of that before and I think I've to do another one!

Wahoo! Time to apply for the badge! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment