Saturday, March 3, 2018

Thing 8: Infographics

I'm being asked to consider a report that I recently produced or read. The thing I can think of is a draft strategic plan. I'm being asked if an infographic would better represent the data. I can't find the document to look at it again, but I think infographics certainly make things easier to read. I'm being asked what impact it would have on the reader. Well, it would give a good snapshot of the main points of the plan. I remember seeing infographics produced by Fingal County Council for their annual report and they were really good. You could see statistics clearly so could understand the scale of the services provided.

I have to put together an informative poster or graphic using Piktochart or Canva. I've tried using Piktochart before (with some success) and I'm going to try Canva this time, as when I was on a committee that's what a colleague used to make a conference poster.

This is my infograph! It's very simple (as instructed!) and it's imperfect. If I was doing this properly I would have selected things for children of a specific age, rather than including things for both younger and older children. But the point of the exercise is to get familiar with using Canva, so it's fine.


Once I realised I had to upload my own images (all taken from Pixabay), I did the task fairly quickly. The template I used was the first one - "6 fun ideas to raise money for charity". I made the minimal amount of changes. I messed around with other things but my proposed headings were too long and were taking up too much space on the templates, and there's really no need for that for this task. Thanksfully, I came up with this shorter heading, based on the template! This was a daunting task at the start but really didn't take too long to complete, and I found the instructions provided by R23 really helpful. I followed them closely and got the task done!

No comments:

Post a Comment